Pages

Monday, December 20, 2010

Remember to be thankful

His name was Michael and we happened to be receiving infusions in side by side chairs in the day hospital at NIH.  It was my day +100 post transplant and when the infusion of anti-fungal medication was finished I was headed for my PET Scan.  Adam and I were both a bit anxious to say the least.  I didn’t actually learn Michael’s name until after he had left and I asked his nurse.  While he and I were talking names just didn’t seem important.  The commonality of our experiencing, the nightmare of cancer was enough.  We talked a bit about NIH, the weather, his recent scans that had turned up positive results, and my upcoming PET Scan.  Michael’s infusion was complete before mine, but before he left the room he did something that I will never forget.  He walked over to my chair and asked simply “Do you wear a Livestrong bracelet?”  I said no, that I wore a Team Elizabeth bracelet and had just never picked up a Livestrong one.  Michael proceeded to take off his own yellow bracelet, revealing an incredible tan line (clearly this bracelet had been there for a while).  He handed me the bracelet and said “This has helped through some really tough times.  I think you could use it today.  You’re scan will be fine.”  I barely got out the words Thank you as he smiled, waved and left the room.  Thank you Michael for making a difference in my life that day and each day that I continue to live, getting healthier and healthier.  You were right, my PET Scan was better than fine.

1 comment: